🕑Prep Time: 10 Mins 🕑Cook Time: 8 Mins
-200g chicken breast or thigh fillets , thinly sliced
-4 cups green savoy cabbage, finely shredded
-1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil (or other cooking oil)
-2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
-200g chow mein or spaghetti or Chinese egg noodles
-1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
-3 green onions , cut into 5cm pieces
-1/4 cup (65 ml) water
🔸Chow mein sauce:
-2 tsp cornflour / cornstarch
-1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
-1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or distilled white vinegar or white grape juice
-2 tsp sugar
-1/2 tsp sesame oil
-White pepper (substitute black pepper)
1. For the sauce mix together cornflour and soy sauce, then mix in remaining ingredients.
For the chicken & noodles;
2. Marinate the chicken: Pour 1 tbsp of the sauce over the chicken, mix to coat, set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Prepare the noodles according to the packet instructions (usually pack says soak in boiled water for 1 minute), then drain.
4. Heat the oil in large fry pan over high heat.
5. Add garlic and stir fry for 10 seconds or until it starts to turn golden – don’t let it burn!
6. Add chicken and stir fry until the surface gets a tinge of browning but inside is still raw for about 1 minute.
7. Add the cabbage, carrot, and the white pieces of onions.
8. Stir & fry for 2 minutes until the cabbage is mostly wilted.
9. Add the noodles, and the sauce and water.
10. Stir fry for 1 minute, tossing constantly.
11. Add bean sprouts and remaining onions/scallions.
12. Toss through for 30 seconds or until the bean sprouts just start to wilt.
13. Remove from heat and serve immediately. 😋
⚠️ Garlic – don’t use mincer/garlic press or jarred garlic, they burn too quickly. Finely just chop it.
⚠️Skillet is fine, just use a big one so the noodles don’t go flying when you toss.